It is heart-breaking to witness the war in Ukraine. Here are three things you can do to respond:
Families fleeing the conflict have left their homes with only the items they were able to carry. Help us provide food, water, shelter, healthcare and protection. You can give here:
We are also support Pier Arthur-Crow from The David House UK Charity who are providing emergency aid and help to refugees fleeing the conflict in Ukraine as well as providing funding to churches in the conflict zones to bless and help their communities. You can give here:
You can also write to your local MP (Contact your MP - UK Parliament). Here is an example letter for you to copy and paste:
Dear MP [Name],
What to pray for…
There are five areas we can focus our prayers on: for people affected by the violence; for those in leadership positions; for God’s power and love to be revealed through the church; for the wider global impact; and for peace.
- Pray for people affected by the violence
- That people still in Ukraine will be protected from the violence; that there will be provision of essential supplies, such as food and clean water. Pray for vulnerable people who cannot flee, for example those with disabilities or the elderly.
- That refugees will find safe places to stay. There are reports that some people are being discriminated against on racial grounds – pray that there will be compassion and support for all.
- For healing for people who are wounded or have experienced trauma; and comfort for those who are grieving.
- Pray for those in positions of leadership
- That leaders on both sides will be filled with compassion, wisdom, calm and a desire for peace.
- That world leaders will balance responding to the injustice of the invasion with seeking ways to build bridges, de-escalate tensions, and restore global security.
- Pray for the church
- That the church in the Ukraine, Russia and across the wider region will be a voice for peace; and that they will have the resources they need to help people who are vulnerable.
- That the church and other organisations around the world will have the courage and conviction to speak out against aggression and injustice.
- That God’s power will be revealed through the church in this situation – bringing a message of love and hope in the midst of the darkness.
- Pray for the global impact
- The crisis in Ukraine is already leading to a significant rise in the price of food and fuel. It is likely that this will get worse. Economically poorer countries are disproportionately affected by shocks such as this. Pray that food and fuel prices will stabilise, and that provision will be made for countries in a vulnerable position.
- Pray for peace
- That there will be an immediate end to the violence – that peace will come sooner than anyone could have expected or hoped for.
- That diplomatic solutions will be found that will lead to lasting peace in the region.
- That people who have fled will be able to return home, and that what has been destroyed will be rebuilt.
- For strength for individuals and organisations in Ukraine, Russia and the region who are working for peace at local, national and regional levels.